Virtual technology continues to revolutionize how we train individuals. We recognize that power to promote experiential learning at BSU.
We learn by doing…
Our training applications introduce students to doing things in situations that are too costly, time-consuming, and too risky to bring into the classroom. As a result, virtual training has been shown to be a cost-effective, repeatable, and a safe training solution. Training that can be highly responsive to today’s most important issues.
At the SSRC, we staff this program with BSU students, promoting dynamic, interprofessional work and learning experiences. Consequently, we remain committed to BSU’s values of innovation, inclusiveness, and social responsibility.
Current Simulation Projects
VRoom: Virtual home visits for social workers and human service professionals
- Developed in collaboration with the Department of Social Work
- Targets skills valuable for human service professionals: social workers, counseling/psychology (case management), law enforcement, any manner of home-based service providers, etc.
- Helps learners identify risks and protective factors present in a fully immersive, 360° virtual simulation environment
- Introduces learners to basic charting/case note-taking practices
- Lets learners practice assessment strategies associated with:
- Drug/opioid abuse
- Child endangerment
- Suicide risk
- Clinical charting/note-taking procedures
- Collects data investigating the effects of implicit associations on students’ practice skills
- Features an Instructor’s Portal, where instructors can download individual user reports to use in class/debriefings
- Provides learners with insight into their own implicit associations and biases
For more information, or to request a demo, Click Here To Email Me
PROTOTYPING SPACE: Universal 4D-Attachments for Head-Mounted Displays with Olfactory Simulation
- Original hardware designed and prototyped by BSU staff and students
- Using 3D Printing technology, students learn about product development, distribution, and sustainability practices
- Provisional Patent filed with USPTO
- Hardware integrates with almost any virtual environment, introducing odors to the experience
- Promotes greater levels of presence
- Helps engage more of the user’s senses in additional contexts/ environments
- Universal design can be used with most leading head-mounted displays